(888) 863-2530(888) 863-2530

Gynecomastia FAQs

Question: What is gynecomastia?

Answer: Gynecomastia is a condition characterized by the growth of male breast tissue.

Question: What are the symptoms of gynecomastia?

Answer: The most common symptom of gynecomastia is the swelling of breast gland tissue. Other symptoms can include breast tenderness and nipple discharge in one or both breasts.

Question: How is gynecomastia treated?

Answer: in many cases the condition will go away on its own with time. Some patients may require medications such as those to treat breast cancer and/or surgery. The surgical procedures used to treat gynecomastia in include mastectomy (removal of breast gland tissue) and liposuction (removal of breast fat).

Question: Are there complications associated with gynecomastia?

Answer: Male breasts can lead to emotional and psychological problems, especially for young boys. This can be caused by a negative self-image, feelings of embarrassment and harassment by peers.

Question: What causes gynecomastia?

Answer: Some cases of gynecomastia are caused by normal hormonal changes such as puberty. The condition can also be caused by other conditions such as aging, hypogonadism, hyperthyroidism, tumors, kidney failure, liver failure and malnutrition. In other cases, gynecomastia may be linked to the ingestion of certain medications.

Question: What medications are linked to gynecomastia?

Answer: There are a number of medications that may be linked to the growth of male breast tissue. These include (but are not limited to) Proscar, Propecia, Invega and Risperdal.

Question: My son was prescribed Invega and developed gynecomastia. Can I sue?

Answer: Maybe. If you were unaware of the potential risk for gynecomastia and your son's condition can be linked to the ingestion of Invega or another medication, you may be eligible to sue the drug maker as well as the prescribing physician.

Question: How do I know if I qualify to file a lawsuit?

Answer: The best thing to do is contact an attorney as soon as possible. You will want to work with an attorney who has experience in these specific cases.

Question: When should I contact a lawyer?

Answer: As soon as possible. Each state has a limit on how long an individual can wait to file a lawsuit against a drug maker for a drug-related injury. To make sure you don't run out of time, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible.

Question: I am not sure if the medication I took caused my condition. Should I still contact an attorney?

Answer: Yes. An attorney will evaluate your history and let you know if you qualify to file a lawsuit.